These scooters are light, fast and absolutely perfect for getting you around when time is tight and traffic is heavy. We’ve all got to get to work right?
This is commuting heaven. They’re super portable. Easy to charge. Fast enough. And cost-effective too!
Best of all, there’s a certain cool vibe that you can’t get from any other form of transport.
Unagi Model One
Our top pick is decently fast, super light to carry and supremely well built.
Segway Ninebot KickScooter Max
TOP RATED CHOICE
A bit more expensive but built for really demanding commutes.
Unagi Model One
< Best All-Rounder >
Most commuters don’t want to carry a heavy scooter around with them all day and that makes the Unagi Model One a top choice for best electric scooter.
The Unagi is crafted out of materials that come in at a third less of the weight of an aluminum scooter.
It can handle inclines of up to 15 degrees with ease and the LED front and back lights are very visible.
1. Super lightweight and easy to carry
2. Construction materials include high grade carbon fiber
3. Dual motor design – extend the range of your scooter at will
1. Not quite as fast as it could be
2. It’s not completely waterproof
3. No disc brakes
Segway Ninebot KickScooter Max
If you’ve got a very long commute then the 40 mile range of the Ninebot KickScooter Max is probably going to be very appealing to you.
It’s combined with a fast charging battery too which makes it very easy to get home after a long day in the office.
The top speed of 18.6 mph is pretty good and its ability to handle 20 degree gradients is impressive.
Quick Fact: Segway’s original intention for everyone to own one of its eponymous devices didn’t pay off too well but their scooters are top notch.
1. Charges very quickly for a large battery – 6 hours
2. Anti-lock brakes make it a very comfortable ride
3. Can carry those weighing up to 220 lbs.
1. It’s expensive, you get what you pay for, mind you
2. Some customers complain it’s hard to get the advertised 40 miles out of it
3. Speed is throttled automatically when under an 80% charge
Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter
A Value Commuter Scooter
If you’re on a tighter budget then the Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter is a great pick.
It’s a bit heavier than we’d like as it’s made from aluminum but it will happily do an 18 mile trip at up to 15.5 mph and it folds away particularly easily.
It’s one of the easiest scooters to learn to use the controls on in our tests too.
Quick Fact: Xiaomi is a Chinese company who came out with an actual iPhone killer and then couldn’t get enough of them to market in time. Their products are very good quality.
1. Nice wider deck for easy balancing, particularly if you have big feet
2. Very easy to learn to ride
3. It’s built to last
1. The brakes aren’t as good as those on the Unagi or the Segway
2. It’s not a very attractive scooter
3. It’s heavier than we’d want to carry about all day
Pure Air Pro
The Safest Scooter Design
The Pure Air Pro is for the commuter that wants the safest possible ride.
It’s robustly designed, can’t go too fast and there are a ton of lights on there to make sure other road users know where you are too.
The suspension is also, without a doubt, among the best on the road when it comes to electric scooter design!
Quick Fact: Pure is an English company and they’re huge in the British market and they used to resell other brands but they learned what people wanted and then made their own scooter!
1. The safest scooter on the market
2. Nice eye catching design
3. Large array of lights on the body
1. Expensive for what you’re getting
2. It’s heavier than most commuters will want
3. The maximum range is a bit on the low side
City Rider Scooter
The Lightweight Wonder Scooter
The City Rider is the scooter for the commuter that just wants lightweight while still able to carry a decent load.
It’s 18 lbs. total weight and that makes it super easy to carry around.
However, the range is very limited and you’re only going to get 7-10 miles between charges and you need to be certain that’s enough before you buy this scooter.
Quick Fact: The Android and iOS apps for this scooter really let you take control of your ride and you can personalize the display and readouts to your preferences.
1. Very light and easy to carry
2. Personalization features are excellent
3. Very low cost for the feature set
1. Won’t handle much in the way of rough terrain – tarmac’s fine but not much else
2. The range is the lowest in our tests
3. The brakes are a bit sharp for our liking
Gotrax GXL V2 Commuting Electric Scooter
Best Ultra-Budget Scooter
Don’t expect too much from the incredibly priced Gotrax GXL V2 Scooter and you won’t be disappointed.
It’s ideal for short commutes and the tires are impressively good at absorbing shocks in the road.
It’s a bit heavier than we’d like but, in exchange, it can carry someone of up to 220lbs. which is a great performance for a scooter like this.
Quick Fact: Gotrax started out selling electric hoverboards back in 2017 and soon became a massively successful brand. They’re not in e-bikes and scooters too!
1. Works as described and can handle decent inclines without problems
2. Very ergonomic and simple design
3. Not as heavy as you might expect at this price point
1. Build quality is not great – you’re going to need to maintain this carefully
2. Batteries are also somewhat limited in life and may need regular replacement
3. Gotrax’s customer support is not famous for responsiveness