Freedom is what the best of lives are about and that means freedom from junk in our pockets when we use one of the best minimalist wallets out there.
If you don’t carry a bag, you’ll know how easy it is for your wallet to turn into a trash can with some money in it, so much for the simple life, right?
A minimalist wallet, on the other hand, encourages you to focus on the essentials as you would in a minimalist home, rather than accumulating things you don’t need.
So, we went looking for the perfect home for our cash, cards and not a whole lot more and this is what we found.
Bellroy Slim Sleeve
We just love the craftsmanship on display here, it’s not fussy but it is built to last and that’s fantastic.
TOP RATED CHOICE
This builds on the Card Protector platform to keep your cards safe from RFID snooping as well as giving them a home.
Bellroy Slim Sleeve Premium Edition
The traditionalist in us picked the Bellroy Slim Sleeve as our top minimalist wallet.
It has all the appeal of a more classic wallet style but it’s still slim and designed to keep bulk to a minimum.
It’s also built to last, this is the kind of wallet you keep for years rather than changing in a month or two.
Quick Fact: This wallet is made from real leather using a water-saving method known as DriTan, it is sourced from the Netherlands and is produced in a specialist tannery.
1. The wallet has two quick-access slots so that you can easily get to your two favorite cards
2. Your bills and notes go behind the cards in the left tuck slot and this keeps it tidy
1. This wallet is quite pricey but then you do get what you pay for
2. This wallet is definitely not vegan friendly, sadly
Secrid Cardslide Wallet, Cardprotector with Slide And Money Band, Multi-Use RFID Case
In today’s world it pays to be as careful of the hacker as it is the mugger and the Secrid Cardslide Wallet is designed to keep your money safe, no matter what the circumstances are.
It is slightly thicker than some of the other wallets in our tests but that’s to be expected for the functionality.
1. It’s hacker proof and that may prove to be a big deal in the coming years
2. Spring activated movement that delivers cards to your fingers
1. Moving parts seem unlikely to last forever though the wallet is durable
2. It looks a little plastic at first glance
Magpul DAKA Everyday Folding Wallet
The Magpul DAKA is a nice anonymous everyday wallet without too many frills though it’s worth noting that it holds one more card than any other wallet in our test (7 in total).
It has a nice transparent window which lets you keep an ID card or season ticket handy too.
Quick Fact: This is made out of high quality polymer which is almost, though not literally, bombproof and thus, you can always trust it to keep your cash and cards safe.
1. It’s got an excellent level of build quality, we’d expect it to last for years
2. It accommodates a bit more stuff than the other wallets in our tests
1. It’s made out of plastic and the basic look may not be to your tastes
2. May be a little too large for some users really looking for minimal
Distil Union Wally Sleeve Genuine Leather Wallet, Money Clip, Credit Card Holder
If there’s such a thing as an everyman minimalist wallet then the Distil Union Wally Sleeve is probably as close as it gets.
It has the old school money clip look about it and it uses an integrated magnet solution to ensure that nothing ever drops out by accident.
Quick Fact: This wallet has a quick-retracting pull tab which allows you easy access to the central compartment without any annoying fiddling about.
1. Very slim form factor that can be carried in any pocket with ease
2. Classic money clip design is attractive and serviceable
1. Also not vegan, this product is made from leather
2. No other reviews online, you’ll have to take our word for it
It’s an expensive minimalist wallet but the Ridge Wallet comes with something that no other wallet in our tests does – a lifetime warranty and it’s one they are reputed to deliver on.
This is also an RFID blocking wallet, so you can be sure of no cloning activity with your cards inside.
Quick Fact: This wallet is also backed by a no quibbles refund warranty, if you don’t like it – send it back in the first 45 days and get a full refund!
1. Very full-featured wallet which offers exactly the space you need
2. It has support for RFID blocking
1. It’s expensive for a minimalist wallet
2. The finish of the wallet scratches easily
Minimalism is a way of life and that means embracing it everywhere.
Once you’ve got one of these wallets, you suddenly realize how much time you’ve wasted in the past rooting through your wallet trying to find what you really needed.
Life is simpler without junk and clutter and we like it that way.